Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Hooray, finally things are moving along at a reasonable pace, and I find I am all signed up for the return to teaching course, and so with a bit of luck I shall be in a position to plausibly apply for teaching jobs by the beginning of April. Since teaching science is both in demand, and eminently portable, it makes a great deal of sense for us - given our intention to move in the next few years.

But to where, I wonder? James Lovelock appears to be re-igniting the climate change debate with his view that we are probably already past the point of no return. Bugger! I simply don't want to believe that Gaia will bite back so hard so soon, but I have to admit that signs of positive feedback entering the equation are becoming alarmingly common, and the environmental news in the past year has been unremittingly bad.

But perhaps the imminence of disaster, as indicated by one of the leading scientists and thinkers on this matter anywhere on the planet, will start to focus enough ordinary peoples' minds to start to focus the politicians.

While we wait for that to happen, I am now looking at contour maps and trying to find the limit of the 20m+ contour in our selected areas for a move. Once the Greenland ice sheet starts to melt I could make a nice little pension hiring out boats from the marina on the front garden!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home